Tragedy Strikes: Onitsha Trader, Family, and Apprentice Found Dead from Generator Fumes on First Night in New Mansion
A heart-wrenching incident occurred in Onitsha as an Onitsha trader, his wife, two children, mother-in-law, and newly arrived apprentice lost their lives due to inhaling poisonous fumes from a generator on their first night in their new mansion.
The man, identified as Ifeanyi from Enugu state and a trader at the Onitsha Bridge Head Market, had planned a surprise celebration for his wife after her discharge from the hospital following the birth of their new baby. They moved into their new mansion at Nkwele Ezunaka to mark the joyous occasions together.
Due to a power outage, Ifeanyi switched on the generator stationed on the veranda close to their bedroom to provide light for the night. They spent the evening happily, chatting and celebrating until they eventually fell asleep, forgetting to turn off the generator.
The following morning, a friend who was supposed to join them in the celebration attempted to visit but found the doors locked and the generator still running. Alarmed, the friend sought help from neighbors, and upon breaking in, they discovered the lifeless bodies.
Desperate efforts were made to revive them, and the wife and one of the daughters showed some signs of consciousness, but unfortunately, all resuscitation efforts, including providing oxygen, were in vain as they passed away later.
The only ray of hope amidst the tragedy was the four-day-old baby, who survived without any complications, leaving everyone puzzled about the circumstances of their death.
Ndubuisi Chukwuneta, the Chairman of Onitsha Bridgehead drug market, confirmed the sad news and praised Ifeanyi as a hardworking young man who had dreams of providing the best for his family.
The Manager of St. Charles Borromeo Hospital, Onitsha, Rev. Fr. Izunna Okonkwo, verified that only the newborn baby remained in stable condition when they arrived at the hospital, as the four others had already passed away before reaching the facility.