Mental Health in its simplest term includes our emotional, psychological, and social well-being, it affects how we think, feel, act, how to handle stress, relate to others, and make choices but according to World Health Organization ( WHO),
Mental Health is a state of well-being in which an individual realizes his or her potential and abilities, copes with normal stresses of life, works fruitfully and productively, and is able to make a contribution to his or her community…..
Ask yourself some questions about this definition
(I) Have I realized my potential and abilities?
If Yes, what are they?
If No, Think about potential and abilities
(Ii) Can I cope with the normal stresses of life
(III) Am I coping with the normal stresses of life
(Iv) Am I working fruitfully and productively?
(V) Am I contributing to my community?
You should have gotten an answer to the questions you asked yourself, let’s proceed…
Mental Health is important in every stage of life, from childhood and adolescence through adulthood. Sometimes, Mental Health means the absence of a mental disorder but more than that
The Link between Mental health and Physical Health is generally misunderstood because the mind and body are considered two separate entities, but often times these two entities need to work together for our own wellbeing. Our mental health can directly affect our physical health and vice versa, and while physical health does play a large role in keeping our bodies in shape and functioning properly, our mental health is just as important to maintain to achieve a healthy and happy lifestyle. Some studies have found that those who suffer from depression bodies show changes in how they function which could have a serious impact on their Physical Health.
We think of our mind and body as separate, but our mental health and physical health are interconnected.
READ MORE: Journaling
Genetics, low motivation, difficulty with concentration and planning, lack of support to change unhealthy behavior, and depression can come with headaches, fatigue, and digestive problems. That’s why you see some people addicted to smoking, drugs, etc, while what might be going on under the surface will be Depression, Post Trauma Stress Disorder, mental illness, loneliness, a person trying to cope and so much more. Your mental health plays a huge role in your general well-being and can affect more than just your mind, it can also affect your body and behavior.
When you are in a good mental state,
– it keeps you healthy and prevents serious health conditions.
– it makes you have time for yourself and understand yourself.
– it makes you accept yourself and forgive yourself.
Poor mental health can lead to poor physical health or harmful behaviors of:-
– negative and evil thought
– negative self talk
– suicide attempts
– negative mood or behavior
– feeling sad or depressed
– negative eating patterns
– negative sleeping pattern
– Every time crying but crying is perfectly good because
(I) it shows you need help and can lead to getting support
(Ii) it is healthy for the eyes and can improve your mood.
(III) it leads to stress relief and unloads emotions
How to deal with our mental health daily
Will be mentioning some as there are different things you can do to improve your mental health.
1. Understand yourself:- Pay special attention to the kind of person you are, know what works for you, know what’s good for you, know what’s bad for you, know what you are capable of doing, and know what you can’t do.
Understand yourself as a person completely.
2. Staying Positive:- Find a balance between positive and negative emotions, because staying positive doesn’t mean that you will never feel negative emotions such as sadness or anger, but make a balance so you can move through difficult situations or respond to a problem. e.g Don’t think too much about the past and worry too much about the future. Balance it and be positive, don’t negatively compare your life to others,
Note:- if you are the type that can’t argue too much, don’t get into it.
3. Praying and Practicing Gratitude:– Praying is part of a healthy lifestyle, a means of communicating with the Creator and pouring out your mind to God concerning whatever you are passing through.
Practicing gratitude on the other part means being thankful to God for everything in your life, either by saying it, thinking of it, or writing it down in a journal. It can also be being thankful to your parents or loved ones or anyone that has supported you.
Even when you are stressed, practice gratitude, it’s important.
4. Taking Care of your physical health:- Mental Health and Physical Health are interconnected, in view of this, some ways to take care of your physical health include:-
(I) Being Physically active:- Engaging in exexercise can reduce feelings of stress and depression and improve your mood. There are different types of exercise as well, choose the one that’s convenient for you, and don’t engage in an exercise that you aren’t capable of.
(Ii) Get enough sleep:- if you don’t get enough sleep, it might affect your mood and productivity, and you might become easily annoyed and angry or depressed
(III) Eat a well-balanced meal:- it’s very very important
Note:- You Are What You Eat, ensure you add fruits and vegetables to your meal.
(Iv) Drink Water:- it’s very very important to stay hydrated
5. Connecting With Others:- Humans are social creatures and it’s important to have strong, healthy relationships with others, which can also boost your moods, you can connect with your family and friends, your loved ones, and you can join a group that’s focused on a hobby you enjoy, but don’t join any group that can affect your health negatively, joins a group that can affect you positively and makes you grow.
6. Developing a sense of meaning and purpose in life which can be through your job, volunteering, learning new skills, or exploring your spirituality.
7. Developing Coping Skills:- These are methods you use to deal with stressful situations. They may help you face a problem, take action, be flexible and not easily give up in solving it once you find yourself in that situation
8. Meditation:- A mind and body practice where you learn to focus your attention and awareness such as when you want to meditate, you study yourself, you might be the person that likes
(I) a quiet location with as few distractions as possible
(Ii) a specific, comfortable posture, this could be sitting, lying, walking, or another position.
(III) a focus of attention, such as a specially chosen word or set of words or an object
(Iv) An open attitude, where you try to let distractions come and go naturally without judging them.
9. Practice relaxation
10. Daily Affirmation:– See and talk to yourself positively, affirm great things to yourself, and see yourself doing great things…..
e.g I will make it
I am coming out strong
I am blessed
I am beautiful
I am handsome
I have worth and values
I am loved
I am healthy
I am wealthy
I am kind
Conclusion:- My Mental Health is important, Your Mental Health is important, inculcate and practice ways to deal with mental health daily as listed above, It’s important…..Be productive always and aim to grow…..You are getting there.
By Jolayemi Oluwadamilola
Click to Follow on IG